Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Web 2.0, Infancy of the Internet, and other more Intuit Perks

I know I haven't actually written about my internship for a while because I've been on this sort of spiritual trend of what may seem like some hippy new-age nonsense. Anyways, I figured it was time to get back to some more internship specific stuff. One of the really cool things about this summer is I have had the opportunity to sit on meetings with numerous partners, vendors, and agencies. One of the great things about those meetings in a company the size of Intuit is you meet the highest level people in each of those organizations, like Vice Presidents, CEO's, etc. Last night I got to attend a dinner with a vendor, and we were talking about the Internet and one of the insights I got is that the Internet is still in it's infancy. Funny that somebody who's worked in the industry since it's practically existed would say that. But when you look at technology, and the industry as a whole, it really is in its infancy. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc have only become huge in the last 3 years. If you compare it to something like the steel industry the Internet is like a little kid who has more time than you can possible imagine to mature.

When it comes to taking care of interns, the Intuit HR team really goes above and beyond. I've never seen anything like it. Some of the interns don't have cars, and the HR team has not only worked on setting up car pools, but they are compensating the drivers with a stipend that would cover your gas costs for the entire month. So, the perks just keep on rolling.

No comments: