Monday, June 23, 2008

Flexibility

"Don't flail against the world, use it. Flexibility is the operative principle in the art of war."
-Sun Tzu


I wanted to write about flexibility because I have been thinking about my job search and how I ended up in the position I did. One of the major mistakes I've seen numerous people make over the year that I was in school was unwillingness to be flexible. They would not consider living anywhere other than LA. The would not consider any deviation from their plan. While there's something to be said for persisting there's also something to be said for flexibility. Einstein defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results." Flexibility has caused an enormous amount of personal growth for me. I have had to come to a new town where I don't know a single person and start from scratch. Fortunately, I got trapped in paradise. But, I would have taken the same approach anywhere, and I was willing to go where the job took me for the summer internship. I knew that the most important thing was the quality of the internship, not the location. I was even willing to go to Tunica, MS. So, I hope that when students contemplate their job search next year, they are flexible.

No comments: